I recently decided I need more colour in my life. I have a lot of browns and beige in my home – boring! I’ve been brainstorming ideas and then last weekend I was browsing Pinterest and came across a tutorial for making Neck Tie Pillows. I loved how colourful and handmade they looked. I decided I had to make some for myself.
My husband has a closet full of ties he doesn’t wear so I asked him for them. Apparently he had been wanting to get rid of them for a while but didn’t want to just give them away. Most of them belonged to his father. He kept a few for himself and gave the rest to me. I love the way they turned out, and to be honest, what a cool reminder of my father-in-law.
The process was really quite simple.
1. Sew the ties together. I decided to alternate wider and thinner ends together. I didn’t really plan on colour placement, I think it looked better if it wasn’t all matched. That said, for the second pillow I alternated strips, but I’m getting off track.
2. I sewed enough of the ties together to make a 17 x 17 square.
3. Cut a piece of fabric 17 X 17. I choose a dark blue piece I had left over from another project.
4. Sew the reverse sides together leaving an opening at one end to put the pillow in.
5. Trim off the excess fabric and turn right side out.
6. Put the pillow form in and hand sew the edge closed.
That’s it! I should have taken more photos of the process but to be honest, I wasn’t thinking about it at the time. If I get the chance I'll make more pillows and take more photos but I don't think my husband wants me cutting up the ones he has left.